Skip to main content

The Services We Offer

"Food and safety audits, coaching and training for effective, competent staff helping you to keep a top rating on the door."
Fresh catering
Dan having a drink
  • Safer food better business refresh and staff coaching
  • Food safety management review (HACCP)
  • Food safety audits
  • Food hygiene rating advice
  • LA food inspections (BSc (Hons) MCIEH CEnvH EHRB)
  • Health and Safety Competent Assistance
  • Accident investigations
  • Incident response and management
  • Supplier audits
  • Catering consultancy, safety and event management
  • Chef services

Hands under UV light to check for bacteria
Hands under UV light to check for bacteria

Training Services

All training is undertaken by qualified and experienced environmental health officers, registered with the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health.

We are a HABC registered Training Centre.

Daryl Littlejohns is registered consultant with (see link at HSE.Gov)

Read more about our Training Services
A knife cutting into a chunk of lamb
A knife cutting into a chunk of lamb

HACCP Reviews

We have extensive experience in auditing HACCP systems for food manufacturing and can help you comply with the legal requirements under EC Regulations 852 and 853/2004. We provide an audit report with a percentage compliance score. A certificate is provided to demonstrate that you have had an independent competent audit.

Contact us on 07800 607844. We also do training and coaching sessions for caterers using safer food better business.

Health and Safety Competent Assistance

As an employer, you must appoint someone competent to help you meet your health and safety duties. A competent person is someone with the necessary skills, knowledge and experience to manage health and safety (Regulation 7 Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999 subject to the provisions of the employers liability under Regulation 21).

You could appoint (one or a combination of):

·    Yourself (as a self employed person)

·    one or more of your workers

·    someone from outside your business

You probably manage most aspects of your business yourself, or with help from your staff. But if you are not confident of your ability to manage all health and safety in-house, you may need some external help or advice.

The Approved Code of Practice (HSG L21) states that if there is no relevant competent worker in the organisation or the level of competence is insufficient to assist the employer in complying with health and safety law, the employer should enlist an external service or person. In some circumstances a combination of internal and external competence might be appropriate, recognising the limitations of the internal competence. Some regulations contain specific requirements for obtaining advice from competent people to assist in complying with legal duties. 

There are a number of different sources of advice. These include:

·    trade associations

·    safety groups

·    trade unions

·    consultants registered on the Occupational Safety and Health Consultants Register (OSHCR)

·    local councils

·    health and safety training providers

·    health and safety equipment suppliers

How can we help?

We are registered consultants with OSHCR. My associates and I have over 20 years’ experience in local authority health & safety enforcement and supporting businesses in the private sector. We hold either a degree in environmental health or NEBOSH diploma. Evidence of continuing professional development is submitted to the CIEH or IOSH annually. We closely follow HSE Guidance for good health & safety management (e.g. HSG65).

Our approach in providing health and safety advice is generally, to work with businesses on a retained basis. This way we can spend time with the business to understand what they do, and facilitate the production of a risk management strategy and documentation that is bespoke, suitable and sufficient, and not just 'off the peg'. 

Your commitment to health & safety management

It is imperative that there is a good management commitment to health & safety and it is taken seriously. We need to know that business operators and managers take ownership of risk management and communication working with ‘live’ documentation. We tend to take an audit approach to identify risk gaps and guide companies through their own assessments rather than offering to take everything on for them. 

We provide a personal service giving ongoing advice on any issues that arise from implementing our recommendations. You may find a retained service for health and safety is much more cost effective than employing someone with the necessary skills and competencies.

Our Insurance

We are insured for Professional Indemnity and Public Liability, it is standard practice to provide a copy of our current insurance certificates to our clients. 


The Occupational Safety and Health Consultants Register provides an up-to-date list of general health and safety advisers who have a qualification recognised by the professional bodies participating in the scheme. If you require general external health and safety advice, you can search the register for a consultant by industry, topic, county or keyword(s).

Who developed the register

HSE and a network of professional bodies and stakeholders have been working in partnership to develop this register. Together, this partnership has agreed that a minimum standard should be set for consultants to join the register. This will reassure employers that those consultants on the register have been assessed and meet the minimum standard set by the professional bodies they belong to.

Minimum qualifications for health & safety consultants

This minimum standard has been set at a degree level qualification, at least two years’ experience and active engagement in a continuing professional development scheme. All consultants who join the register are bound by their professional body/ bodies code of conduct and are committed to providing sensible and proportionate advice.

Contact Us